Monday, November 21, 2011

For once I rock....

I am not the best mom... I would not qualify as "Mother of the Year" but once in a while I have a good idea.  Technically the idea I had yesterday I got from a friend on FB six months ago but I finally seized the opportunity to make Banana Pancakes for the kids.  I get tired of banana bread really fast... I think it's too dense and after awhile, I don't care for the banana flavor.  We haven't been getting to the bananas fast enough lately so I had yet another batch of icky bananas to use this weekend.  This morning I made banana pancakes with them...  The boys, who eat very little fruit or vegetables, ate them just fine.... I feel like I tricked them!  Heh heh....

Here's the recipe.  I wouldn't normally post it but Steve thought it was a winner too:

Banana Buttermilk Pancakes
This recipe is a good way to use up bananas and want something a little different for breakfast or dinner. This recipe is adapted from an issue of Canadian Living magazine
Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas ( about 3)
    • 2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups sour milk
    • 2 eggs
    • 1/3 cup butter, melted
    • butter ( for frying)
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, sift or stir together flour, sugar and baking soda;
  2. Combine bananas, buttermilk, eggs and butter(I pureed it smooth in an immersion blender); stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
  3. In a large skillet or griddle, melt just enough butter over medium heat to coat the surface of the pan.
  4. Pour in about 3 tbsp of batter for each pancake; cook pancakes, in batches, for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on one side or until tiny bubbles appear on the surface and the bottom is golden brown.
  5. Flip and cook the second side for about 1 minute or until golden.

No comments: